OLD HARBOUR MUSEUM
Before the New Harbour was planned and built, the Old Harbour was the centre of activity in Hermanuspietersfontein. From as long ago as 1857 the Old Harbour sheltered fishing boats and even their owners at times. In 1970 the Old Harbour was declared a National Monument but was never again used as it had been in the past.
This was mostly because of the sudden growth of Hermanus and the need for a larger harbour to house the influx of fishing, touring and leisure craft in the bay. When the Old Harbour was still in use the boats often had to wait outside the harbour itself, battling strong winds and stormy conditions before they were able to take refuge in the shelter of the cove. For over a century the dangerous task of docking the boats was a spectacle that both locals and visitors alike would gather to watch, as it took both skill and bravado to manoeuvre the craft in between swells before they could land their craft. Their catch would be gutted and sold right there, or carried to the above areas. The boats would need 8 to 16 men to carry to the same areas for storage and repairs.